School on Dark Matter
June 27 – July 8, 2016
São Paulo, Brazil
ICTP-SAIFR / IFT-UNESP
Lectures and Professors:
Evidence of DM from Cosmology and Astrophysics
Pasquale D. Serpico (LAPTh – Annecy-le-Vieux, France)
Formation of cosmic structures
Ravi Sheth (University of Pennsylvania – Philadelphia, USA)
Collider tests of Dark Matter Model
Tim Tait* (University of California – Irvine, USA)
*Lectures delivered by Eduardo Pontón (ICTP-SAIFR & IFT-UNESP)
Manuela Vecchi (Instituto de Física de São Carlos – USP, Brazil)
Eduardo Serra Cypriano (USP-São Paulo, Brazil)
Direct detection of DM
Nassim Bozorgnia (GRAPPA – Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
Indirect detection of DM
Francesca Calore (GRAPPA – Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
Dark Matter in astrophysical structures
Miguel Pato* (OKC – Stockholm, Sweden)
*Lectures delivered by Fabio Iocco (ICTP-SAIFR & IFT-UNESP)
- Gianfranco Bertone (GRAPPA – University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
- Graciela Gelmini (UCLA-Los Angeles, USA)
- Fabio Iocco (IFT-UNESP & ICTP-SAIFR, Brazil)
- Eduardo Pontón (IFT-UNESP & ICTP-SAIFR, Brazil)
The school aims at making students familiar with all the aspects -astrophysical, cosmological, and particle physics- of the Dark Matter problem, both on the observational/experimental, and theoretical side. Students will be trained both on the theory part, and with practical sessions in order to be able to participate to active research projects in the field by the end of the school. There is no registration fee and limited funds are available for travel and local expenses.
School Program: updated on July 7
Click on the (video) to watch the videos and (pdf) to download the lecture files
June 27 – July 1, 2016
July 4 – 8, 2016
- Cesar Rojas Bravo
- Alex Alarcón Jara
- Andres Perez
- Maria Benito Castaño
- Hamish Silverwood
- Maria Jose Guzman
- Felipe Rojas Abatte
- Leesa Fleury
Ravi Sheth (University of Pennsylvania – Philadelphia, USA): Formation of cosmic structures
- The statistics of peaks of Gaussian random fields; Bardeen, Bond, Kaiser & Efstathiou, 1986, The Astrophysical Journal, 304, 15-61
- Halo Models of Large Scale Structure; Cooray & Sheth 2002, Physics Reports, 372, 1-129
- On the Robustness of the Acoustic Scale in the Low-Redshift Clustering of Matter; Eisenstein, Seo & White 2007, The Astrophysical Journal, 664, 660-674
- Nonlinear evolution of baryon acoustic oscillations; Crocce & Scoccimarro, 2008, Physical Review D, 77, 023533
Nassim Bozorgnia (GRAPPA – Amsterdam, The Netherlands): Direct detection of DM
• G. Bertone, Particle Dark Matter: Observations, Models and Searches, Cambridge University Press, 2010.
• K. Freese, M. Lisanti and C. Savage, Annual Modulation of Dark Matter: A Review, Rev. Mod. Phys. 85 (2013) 1561, arXiv:1209.3339.
• A. Kurylov and M. Kamionkowski, Generalized Analysis of Weakly-Interacting Massive Particle Searches, Phys. Rev. D 69 (2004) 063503.
• J. D. Lewin and P. F. Smith, Review of mathematics, numerical factors, and corrections for dark matter experiments based on elastic nuclear recoil, Astrop. Phys. 6 (1996) 87.
• G. Jungman, M. Kamionkowski and K. Griest, Supersymmetric dark matter, Phys. Rep. 267 (1996) 195.
• P. Gondolo, Phenomenological Introduction to Direct Dark Matter Detection, arXiv:hep-ph/9605290.
• M. W. Goodman and E. Witten, Detectability of certain dark-matter candidates, Phys. Rev. D 31 (1985) 12.
• A. K. Drukier, K. Freese and D. N. Spergel, Detecting cold dark-matter candidates, Phys. Rev. D 33 (1986) 12.
• D. N. Spergel, Motion of the Earth and the detection of weakly interacting massive particles, Phys. Rev. D 37 (1988) 1353.
Manuela Vecchi (Instituto de Física de São Carlos – USP, Brazil): Cosmic Rays
M. S. Longair, High energy astrophysics, Cambridge University Press
T. K. Gaisser, Cosmic ray and particle physics, Cambridge University Press
W. R. Leo Techniques for nuclear and particle physics, Springer-Velrag
L. Baldini arXiv: 1407.7631
P. Maestro, arXiv: 1510.07683
P. Blasi, Astronomy and Astrophysics Reviews 21, 70 (2013), 1311.7346
History of cosmic rays:
V. Trimble, AIP Conference Proceedings 1516 , 30 (2013); doi: 10.1063/1.4792536
V. Cirkel-Bartelt, Living Rev. Relativity, 11, (2008), 2
List of Confirmed Participants: Updated on June 24
Registration: ALL participants and speakers should register. The registration will be on June 27 at the institute, from 8:30 to 9:30. You can find arrival instructions at http://www.ictp-saifr.org/?page_id=195
Accommodation: Participants and lecturers, whose accommodation has been provided by the institute will stay at The Universe Flat. Each participant/lecturer, whose accommodation has been provided by the institute, has received the accommodation details individually by email.
BOARDING PASS: All participants/lecturers, whose travel has been provided or will be reimbursed by the institute, should bring the boarding pass upon registration, and collect an envelope to send the return boarding pass to the institute.
Poster presentation: Participants who are presenting poster MUST BRING THE POSTER PRINTED. The poster size should be at most 1,5m x 1m. Please do not bring hanging banner, only sticking poster.
Emergency number: 9 8233 8671 (from São Paulo city); +55 11 9 8233 8671 (from abroad), 11 9 8233 8671 (from outside São Paulo).
Ground transportation instructions: